The gentle sound of books being hurled across the room

Some light reading to entertain you today. Hey, why should I bother writing down opinions when I can just give you some links to other people's? It's a quite simple thing called Lowering the Guffaw Threshold, by surly Republican Arianna Huffington, who has transcended her Republicanism to be a truly surly individual on all fronts.

This particular article, one of many surly columns on her site, is about the fact that no matter what line of bull we're fed, most people rarely do the only thing that's true, proper and right - burst out laughing at the sheer stupidity of it all. This is, I think, a rule we can all live by. Now, it's not necessarily a good idea to burst out laughing when, for example, your boss wonders about wether Microsoft FrontPage is a good web-authoring tool. No, in that situation, mere biting sarcasm will suffice. But in many situations, people pompously present lines of complete tosh, knowing that the worst that will happen is mild cynicism or disinterest. In fact, there seems to be quite a bit of feeling that the proper thing to do is rationally answer said wackiness. To try and bring the offender back into the realm of sanity.

Nonsense, I say! There should be a veritable carnival of mockery at the blatant stupidities of our time! An atmosphere of glee and vicious delight should pervade every moment of cheery defenestration that is vented forth upon he who is so foolish to trespass upon the grounds of willful idiocy! The only true solution is to push the cretin in question further and further into sputtering outrage with racous laughter until they either transcend the stupidity barrier into enlightenment, passing through the forest of their own ineptitude through to the other side, or have a heart attack and die on the spot.

But then, I'm evil. What do you want from me? I'm evil! Evil!

Of course, it's often difficult to tell the difference between well-meaning ineptness and simple silliness. So I suppose such mockery should indeed be reserved for the political arena (where, let's face it, a good 80 percent of our blantant idiocy supply is cache'd). Well, except in situations of willful, stubborn stupidity un-changable by simple discussion and comprehension.

We can but dream of a day when people can hear the words "I'm sorry, but are you out of your fscking mind?" and understand them for the true plea for universal brotherhood, love, and understanding that they really are.

Well? Laugh?

Rant 'o the day contains no additives, preservatives or alien spores of any kind. Use only as directed. Do not expose to direct sunlight. Do not fold, spindle, multilate or remove identifying tags. Handle with care. Contains less than 3% milk fat by weight, not by volume. Certified 'Syndicate Approved'. Squeeze the lemon. Remember, kids, only users lose drugs.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT