Currrrrrses

There's been a distinct lack of heady realizations of the nature of the universe and computer hardware today. I know, I know, it's rough, but I suppose we'll just have to deal with it.

I am, however, considering the use of a 'company morale-o-meter', which could be mounted discreetly on the wall somewhere and use a little peg, moved up and down on the scale, to show the morale of the work-force. Right now I think we're at 'Awful'. We might even be at 'Abysmal' or 'Wretched'. Clearly, management is either aware of this and doesn't care, or thinks company morale is at the level of 'Super' or 'Fanatical'. Baka.

On the other hand, mmm, sound card. It seems to work now. Not sure why. I guess it's time to find something to do with it.

I'm also playing with symlinks today. As you may have discovered. Or, if I screwed up, you're probably not reading this at all, unless you're one of those pikers who's been figuring out my file naming conventions and hunting the things up yourself. See? I do have some level of reader response.

Dragonball Z: "Calling the Eternal Dragon"

Which is a bit of a misnomer, as, while they certainly CALL the Eternal Dragon in this episode, he doesn't actually, well, appear.

Vegeta finally shows up again, at Freeza's ship, having decided to take a look around. But first, he massacres the goons Freeza and Cap'n Ginyu left behind as guards. None of these schmucks are smart enough to turn and run until it's far, far too late, and Vegeta shortly has the run of the ship. He doesn't find the Dragonballs, but that doesn't concern him, as he knows the Earthers will be along shortly.

Meanwhile, Cap'n Ginyu (in Goku's body) and Jayce fly back, which Cap'n Ginyu cheerfully doing swoops and dives as he revels in his new, improved level of mightiness.

Meanwhile, Goku limps along behind them in Cap'n Ginyu's wounded body, and gripes a lot.

Back at the ship, Vegeta takes a break to use the facilities and freshen up a bit. It wouldn't do for Saiyan nobility to go around all scuffed and bruised. Vegeta retrieves a fresh costume and body armor (without his customary flared shoulder guards) from a locker, complaining about how long it takes to get a clean set of clothes around here.

Outside, Krillan and Gohan land, poke around, and quickly discover and dig up the buried Dragonballs, which were only a few inches beneath the surface. Vegeta, having emerged from the ship, watches from concealment. Hey, no sense getting all dirty digging stuff up. And besides, there may be some activation procedures he needs to follow to get a wish from the Dragonballs. Krillan and Gohan joke around a bit, the realization that they're inches from their goal making them a bit punchy. But then they pull it together, and Krillan shouts out something dramatic sounding about calling forth the dragon to grant his wish, using dramatic poses and speed lines and everything.

A long pause ensues, then Krillan and Gohan share a "D'oh!" as they realize they didn't bother to check and find out what password was required for the Dragonballs. Vegeta, in concealment, resists the urge to smack himself on the forehead by sheer force of will. Much more of this and he'll just kill them out of sheer frustration. But then he senses incoming and ducks back behind cover.

Krillan and Gohan look up to see Cap'n Ginyu in Goku's body and Jayce land. Krillan's baffled, but goes right on up to say hello, although he does wonder wether Jayce switched sides or what. And he doesn't seem clued in by "Goku"'s odd mode of speech and the fact that he's ignorant of things Goku really ought to know. Frankly, this is because Krillan is a complete idiot. Gohan, who is not a complete idiot, shouts out a warning to look out, at which Krillan just turns and makes a sort of 'hunh?' expression, which he doesn't lose when "Goku" sucker punches him in the back of the head, sending him flying.

In the shadows, Vegeta realizes what's going on, and that this just really isn't his day.

Krillan still can't figure out what's going on, although Gohan does, especially when Cap'n Ginyu comes right out and admits he stole Goku's body. Then the Ginyu Force, to absolutely no-one's surprise, spends a moment engaging in some mighty posing. And truly mighty posing it is, too. Krillain finally gets a clue when Goku himself finally limps in, though. Gohan spends a moment realizing how truly bizarre home life would be if his father sayed stuck as a giant, purple, horned alien, and bursts into tears. Goku states to the two that they have to defeat Cap'n Ginyu quickly, to which Krillan responds with the equivalent of "are you out of your fucking mind?" But Goku points out that Cap'n Ginyu's unfamiliarity with Goku's body will prevent him from reaching full power. Cap'n Ginyu scoffs and starts to power up, and we're again treated to the sight of someone howling like a constipated water buffalo as they're limned with a flare of raw energy.

Rant 'o the day contains no additives, preservatives or alien spores of any kind. Use only as directed. Do not expose to direct sunlight. Do not fold, spindle, multilate or remove identifying tags. Handle with care. Contains less than 3% milk fat by weight, not by volume. Certified 'Syndicate Approved'. Squeeze the lemon. Four out of five dark elves surveyed agree: It's surl-a-riffic!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT