Lots of redecos, at least initially....
Bolded names got Strongly Recommended, while italic indicates a
rating of neutral or worse.
Tiny Titans get tweaked, with the ability to transform. Still simple and
underpainted, but slightly more worth the price.
- Wave 1: Bumblebee (yellow and black variants),
Grimlock (gold and black variants), Crosshairs, Sideswipe, Optimus Prime,
Hound, Blackout, Starscream (RotF), Soundwave (DotM), Lockdown.
After going away for a movie, they've brought back this size class, with the
same upgunned pricing and heavy use of old molds as the Premier classes.
- Wave 1: Optimus Prime (blue redeco of the DotM mold), Bumblebee (yet
another color scheme on one of the older molds), Grimlock (another Prime
Rippersnapper redeco, this one movie-based), Barricade (Prime
Prowl/Smokescreen mold redeco). I didn't get any of these, as I have at
least two versions of every mold and am not paying $7-8 for a third.
- Wave 2: Megatron (space jet), Crosshairs (not quite
Corvette Stingray), Drift (not quite Mercedes-Benz AMG). The latter two are
reportedly abandoned 2014 molds.
- TRU Exclusive Infernocus: Redecos of the
limbs from Transformers Prime's Abominus set, with a new torso and weapon.
New core figure is Skulk (no beast mode), limbs are Rupture (Windrazor),
Infernocon Thrash (Twinstrike), Gorge (Blight), and Glug (Rippersnapper).
Also has a Quintessa minifigure.
Renaming the One-Step Changers.
- Wave 1: Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Hound, Barricade. Pretty sure all but
Barricade are redecos of AoE toys. I don't plan to get any of these.
- Wave 2: Decepticon Berserker (more of a pickup than an SUV), Grimlock
(redeco of AoE version), Megatron (space jet).
Don't plan to get Berserker or Grimlock.
More from the non-transforming Titan Hero design team, they continue to
transform pretty badly and look and feel cheap in both modes. $15 price
point for figures 10-11 inches tall.
- Wave 1: Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. Looked bad enough in-package I
didn't buy either.
- Wave 2: Megatron. Looked passable enough in-package I gave it a try, but
it's still pretty bad. Avoid.
- Premier Edition Wave 1: Longnose Optimus Prime (new
mold), Grimlock (definitely a redeco) with slightly better than usual paint.
Started at $30 everywhere, started creeping downward later on. I waited
until Optimus was $27 before buying it.
- Premier Wave 2: Megatron (space jet),
Autobot Hound (Unimog military truck).
- Premier Edition Wave 3: Decepticon Nitro (aka Nitro
Zeus, jet fighter), Scorn (Spinosaur). I do have Scorn, I'm just reviewing
these two separately due to a large to-be-reviewed stack so I can bounce
between movie and not-movie toys.
Basically the Hyperchanger/Flip-And-Change class, Voyager sized but One-Step
complexity. These all seem to have "Knight Armor" flip-out helmets. $20
- Wave 1: Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Grimlock. While they may share some
basic engineering with the AoE Smash&Change versions, they're definitely new
- Wave 2: Adds in Megatron (space jet).
I have largely gone off the larger sizes, any reviews here
are likely to be guest reviews.
- TRU Exclusives: "Mission to Cybertron" two-pack with redecos of DotM
Deluxe Optimus Prime and the first movie protoform Optimus for $40, a redeco
of Primus (from the Cybertron line) for $150.
- Masterpiece Optimus Prime: $100 super-detailed movie Optimus.