|Dave's Transformers Page
Transformers "Artifacts": Transformers Crossovers
Actual Transformers, but with outside licensing
page spun off, Volvo VNR Optimus Prime and Frankentron added.
These are things that mostly aren't precisely Transformers, but they're
- Ectotron: A heavy retool of the Combiner Wars Hot
Shot mold that turns into the Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters. Not really an
exclusive, but hard to find in any physical stores (GameStop reportedly got
some). Packaged in G1-style, but not technically a "Commemorative Series"
sort of thing, since it's a new toy. He also got to star in a 5-issue
"Transformers/Ghostbusters" miniseries from IDW, more or less set in a
version of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon continuity. (Note: a redeco of this
based on the revival movie was sold with an extra ghost and #1 of the comic
for $60 at Target in early 2021, hard pass.)
- MP-10G Optimus Prime Ecto-35 Edition: A repaint MP-10 with Slimer. I
passed on this, but am including it for completeness.
- Gigawatt: A heavy retool of Siege Sideswipe that
turns into the DeLorean (well, unlicensed, so some changes) time machine from
Back to the Future. Another G1-style box, and accompanied by a five issue
comic series that I didn't buy.
- Maverick: The first entirely new mold for Collaborative, a $50 Voyager
with a heavy licensing tax for the Top Gun crossover. I passed on this and
on the reissue.
- Ultimate X-Spanse: The name is horrible, but
it suits the toy. From floppy 90s X-Men Blackbird jet to conceptual mess of
a robot, it includes some sub-Dollar-Tree-level Wolverine and Sabertooth
figures that can barely stand up. I got it at half off, and still think I
was ripped off.
- J. Balvitron: A G1 Soundwave reissue in mostly smiley face yellow with
new guns done as a thing with musician J. Balvin. Even if I were interested
in another G1 Soundwave, this was exclusive to an app I had no interest in
- Universal Monsters Crossovers:
- Draculus: Dracula's 90th anniversary was celebrated
in 2021 with a Collaborative toy that significantly retools Titans Return
Mindwipe (no longer a Titan Master, but has a nifty cloak).
- Frankentron: Impactor mold heavily retooled into
a Frankestein's Monster design.
- Jurassic Park Crossovers:
- GI Joe Crossovers:
- Megatron/HISS Tank with the Baroness. Status: Own, but not sure I want
to review. Reportedly very frustrating to transform, in the "falls apart"
- Bumblebee/AWE Striker with Sgt. Stalker. Status: Own, also not sure I'm
going to review it.
- Soundwave Dreadnok Thunder Machine with Zartan and Zarana. Passing on
- Tonka Devastator: A G1 Constructicon set in Tonka colors (so, black
instead of purple) and new character names. Hard pass from me.
- Street Fighter II Crossovers: Technically pre-Collaborative sets, but
reissued with Collaborative branding at Target.
- Volvo VNR Optimus Prime: Optimus Prime turns into
a licensed Volvo truck, which oddly was initially released as a gaudy
Christmas-themed Optimus Prime, but later came out in normal colors.
(Trailer is a redeco of the Earthrise Optimus Prime trailer.)
Regular-for-2023 Leader price point of $55, so no onerous licensing tax,
although it does say in the instructions that it's part of the Collaborative
line, so I put the review here.
- Stranger Things Code Red: It looks like a modification of the Siege
Ironhide mold, but is Voyager-sized and apparently a new mold even if it
shares some engineering. Turns into a pizza delivery van from Stranger
Things, a property I don't follow, and there's a hefty licensing tax on this
one, so I was originally going to pass, then I found it on sale for $35
online, so it's in the queue.
- JAXA Optimus Prime: Optimus Prime turns into a Japanese space agency moon
rover, scheduled to ship in mid-2024. This is an irregular size class,
closest to Commander, may or may not be Collaborative. I pre-ordered it.