Dave's ASH Archive - Academy of Super-Heroes: #1-88
Last Updated: 5/1/12
From left to right, top row: Solar Max, Comet, Peregryn, Essay, Contact,
Green Knight, Scorch, Beacon, Lightfoot, Breaker, Fury and Peter the Satyr.
Bottom row: Meteor, Gawain, Channel, old Scorch. Bottom row is old costumes
Academy of Super-Heroes by Dave Van Domelen - The current ongoing series
starring the bulk of the Academy team in 2023-5. The Academy of Super-Heroes
is the premiere hero team of the North American Combine. Now with arc
- #1 - "Cross": The mysterious Cross seeks help for his
family and runs across ASH in their Mexico City base.
- #2 - "Rose": ASH journeys to the Brazilian basin where
Cross's clan lives, only to be tricked into a pocket-dimension trap.
- #3 - "Monsters Under the Bed": ASH fights the Svartalfen
and escapes just as Cross frees his clan from the genetic mind control they
were under, joining all their spirits together into a form of gestalt before
- #4 - "Minor Tom - Coming Home": Lightfoot, a member of the
original ASH in the 1990s, reappears after a relativistic trip vaulted him into
- #5 - "Past Shock": Lightfoot deals with this strange new
world, and is attacked by an old foe from the 20th Century...Devastator!
- #6 - "Blast From The Past": Devastator launches an attack
on ASH, and is killed at terrible cost...but his plan continues without him.
- #7 - "Vault of the Heavens": ASH barely stops Devastator's
plan to crack the Barrier that protected Earth from the gods, but then someone
else starts it again.
- #8 - "The Rest Of The Story": As the gods start to trickle
back in, the effects are felt worldwide...especially since the Anchor Effect
that kept all of China non-superhuman is now gone. The person behind most of
the manipulations of both this series and the Academy series is revealed.
- #9 - "HUNGER": The Arcanovore, a construct capable of
ravaging worlds, has been imprisoned on Earth since the 1990s. Now alien
powers seek to use it as a weapon in interstellar power struggles, and at least
one hero will fall trying to stop them! Conclusion of the major plot thread
that drove the action from behind the scenes since Academy #0.
- FOREBODING - #10-12, #14-16
- #10 - "Contact": In the wake of their merging in #9,
Aaron Zander and Paul Mahler look for answers to why they aren't following in
the footsteps of other gestalted metahumans, and the quest takes them to the
Oracle at Delphi.
- #11 - "A Kick In The Teeth": During a fairly quiet time
in late 2023, Solar Max agrees to be on an interview/news program, where he
meets a rather colorful character named Thom O'Ryan, and learns something
about the world he lives in.
- #12 - "Christmas At Ground Zero": While various members
of ASH fight the holiday blues, someone else intends to give them a real
fight. Ties in with Conclave of Super-Villains #3. Scan of plotting notes for this issue.
- #13 - "DEEP ARMAGEDDON Part 2: A Bomb In Nation": Part
of the CSV/ASH/Warden/STRAFE crossover. ASH, with the help of the LNH 2023
students, races around the world to stop an international bomb threat!
Extra large special issue!
- #14 - "Academic Year": In the aftermath of DEEP
ARMAGEDDON, Lightfoot heads off to the Academy while the rest of the team
discusses what to do about the growing problem of New York City.
- #15 - "Nothing From Nothing": The New York City problem
is taken out of ASH's hands, but then one of their own presents a greater
menace than any villain to date....
- #16 - "Wheel of Fortune": While Peregryn travels around
the globe in search of the Eye of Horus, several other members of ASH deal
with relationship matters in this Valentine's Day story.
- #17 - "Search and Seizure": Contact suffers the
consequences of his actions in #16, and Arin Kelsey returns to action...but
not in any way she'd like to return.
- #18 - "Manhunt": ASH mobilizes to try and find Josh
Cole and Arin Kelsey. Meanwhile, Contact arrives at MetaPsych, and General
Kasca finds out something rather important about the Papacy.
- #19 - "Mexican Standoff": The search for Cole
continues, and after Solar Max has a run-in with Labyrinthe of the Conclave
of Super-Villains, Channel and Gawain find Cole...but this might not have
been a good thing.
- #20 - "Winter's Tail": Cole has gone to ground, leaving
ASH to stew and wait and try to deal with their personal demons.
- #21 - "The Bell Tolls": It's Easter Sunday, and Pope
Pius XIII is in Mexico City...and so are a large number of people seeking his
death, including Josh Cole.
- #22 - "Cardinal Sins": The fallout of last issue's
events starts to be felt while the mystery surrounding it is investigated.
Meanwhile, Sal comes to terms with his personal demons, and Arin wakes from
- A PLAN FOR REVENGE - #23-25
- #23 - "Martyrs": While Sal and Arin continue to deal
with personal issues, Contact and Grind work on the riddle Rebus left in
Agent Ridley's brain, and a team goes to investigate reports of a new
paragang in "Lost Angeles."
- #24 - "Process of Elimination": The Los Angeles team is
recovered, but is badly beaten. And Gawain is forced into single combat with
perhaps the most dangerous member of the Revanche...Nomad!
- #25 - "Shadows Over Wichita": Final battle between ASH
and the Revanche!
- #26 - "Channel Crossing": A special issue seen from the
perspective of George "Channel" Sylvester.
- #27 - "Eulogies": Interspersed with the goings-on of a
funeral are scenes from the investigation of the death being commemorated. A
member of ASH is no more.
- SHADOW OF THE PYRAMID - #28-33
- #28 - "Solar Flare": In the wake of Channel's death, we
catch up on events happening in Khadam...and then Solar Max makes a choice
that could mean the death of thousands.
- #29 - "PYRAMID SCHEME STEP 1: Sensation": The
repercussions of Solar Max's actions ripple across the globe. Meanwhile,
Peregryn finds a potential cure for Essay's injuries...but can he bring
himself to use it?
- #30 - "PYRAMID SCHEME STEP 2: Polar Glare": The Battle
of Montreal, started in CSV #15, ends here with a bang!
- #31 - "PYRAMID SCHEME STEP 3: Time's Error": In the
wake of recent tragedies, Solar Max decides that the only way to fix things
is to go to the root of the problem....
- #32 - "PYRAMID SCHEME STEP 4: In Darkness Bound": All
the pieces of the puzzle come together, and it's a race to stop Rebus from
attaining his ultimate goals! Leads directly into Capstone
- #33 - "New Beginnings": In the wake of the horrible
events surrounding Rebus's apotheosis plot, members of ASH pick up the pieces
and try to get on with their lives...and afterlives.
- POINT OF THE SPEAR - #34-36
- #34 - "Cold Comfort": Channel finds out that the
afterlife (or apres vie, at least) can be pretty dangerous. Meanwhile,
TerraStar decides where to go with her life, and the Taylors get news about
Sarah's new condition.
- #35 - "Giants Among the Stars": The hunt for
Doublecross heats up, and Channel's adventures continue, as he holds the
secret to saving the galaxy!
- #36 - "Cross of Gold": An entire issue devoted to
Channel as he struggles to save the future from the mystic Weregild!
- CITY OF LIGHTS - #37-41 - Winner of the 2002 RACCie for "Favorite Arc"
- #37 - "I: Candlelight": Back in 2024,
Doublecross's plans (so rudely interrupted by first Triton and then Rebus)
start to come to fruition while ASH desperately tries to find him!
- #38 - "II: Searchlight": As the search
for Doublecross gets going in earnest, Scorch is distracted by fallout from
events in CSV #23!
- #39 - "III: Starlight": The first open
clashes between ASH and the Light Brigade take place as the magnitude of
Doublecross's plan unfolds!
- #40 - "IV: Equal Light": It's a fight to
the finish in space and on the ground with the lives of millions in the
balance...and one life becomes the balance point around which everything
- #41 - "Epilogue: Afterglow": Counting
the cost and figuring out what had been won. Plus a talk about the
The Q'Nos Chronicles - #42-50
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS - #42-44
- #42 - "1: The Legacy": A few months
have passed, and an important figure in the lives of the ASH heroes has
died. But his last will and testament seems to be more test than testament.
- #43 - "2: Bull Market": Things
become clearer as Solar Max chases down the mystery left to him by...Solar
- #44 - "3: Inauspicious Return": The
arc concludes as a threat from the past comes bursting into the present!
Also: special outline section, showing the working outline for this issue.
- #45 - "Monster Hunters": A pause between major sections
of the Q'Nos Chronicles. Several characters figure out where they fit in the
scheme of things, and there's rumblings on the geopolitical horizon.
- SHATTERING HELLAS - #46-48 (parts alpha through gamma)
- #46 - "A: The Minos Touch": Those rumblings turn to
eruptions as Q'Nos, the Minotaur, makes his move! And the Moslem
Confederation isn't about to ignore this move....
- #47 - "B: The Valley of Death": Diplomacy has done what
it can, which wasn't enough to keep the army of the Moslem Confederation from
marching into Greece!
- #48 - "G: Storm of the Eye": The invasion of Hellas
reaches its climax and much is revealed before the final conflict!
- #49 - "Island Hopping": The battle for Hellas may be
over, but the plots of the mad minotaur certainly are not!
- #50 - "World On A String": Q'Nos's big plan is put into
motion, forcing a battle that rages around the world! Not everyone's coming
home from this one, folks! With Color Cover by
The Romance of Three Republics - #51-60
This is a pretty ambitious arc, the first time I've plotted out ASH for 10
issues in a single storyline. Not the first time I've planned an arc of that
size, of course (Century Pact was 12 issues in Dvandom Force, and A Season In
Crimson in Exarch was 24), but the biggest chunk I've planned out in advance
for ASH. Of course, since it deals with China, a lurking dragon for the past
decade, I think ten installments is appropriate. (Originally planned to be
12, but I decided that making it go that extra two issues would be padding.)
- Central Asian Confederacy - #51-54
- #51 - "From Serpent To Dragon": In the aftermath of
Q'Nos's big push for power, attention shifts to the orient. The Bamboo
Curtain is starting to rise, and the first act takes place in the breakaway
- #52 - "Journey To The East": The United World
diplomatic team arrives in Tibet, but finds that as powerful as words can be,
they're not the only weapons in use. Meanwhile, other matters of
international import continue to unfold.
- #53 - "Angolmois Energy": Events unfolding in the
Central Asian Confederation are stranger than they appear on the surface, but
digging deeper is just resulting in death!
- #54 - "Going To Kathmandu": Old questions are answered
and new ones come up regarding the attacks on the Western Dragon. But things
are amiss in the heavens and on Earth....
- #55 - "Some Assembly Required": Tina moves on to the
SouthEast Asian Treaty Organization to help them with a little merlion
problem. At least, that's what they say they want her for.
- #56 - "Eager To Please": Things go pretty well for
Tina, so of course there's another shoe to drop, right?
- #57 - "Bigger Problems": The other shoe drops, and how!
Plus, strange things are happening on Venus....
- #58 - "Big Break": The truth (or is it?) starts to come
out at last, suggesting that things are stranger than anyone suspected in the
- The People's Republic of China - #59-60
- #59 - "Ox Body Technique": Tina and Grind each get to
the center of the mystery, but will they be able to get back out?
- #60 - "The Truth Comes Out": What the title says. And
things rev up on Venus!
Time and Space - #61-64
The main purpose of this arc is to take all the Venus buildup from during
RoTR and shove it to the forefront, plus deal with the mysterious Timeslip.
- "Genesis Climber": Peregryn is alone on a hostile
Venus, where the entire world seems determined to kill him! And that's
BEFORE all the various factions working on ways to exploit Venus get there!
Plus, Timeslip arrives in 2025 to begin his mysterious mission.
- "Serpents In Eden": The mysterious foes pursuing
Peregryn are revealed, and it looks like everyone's grabbing a piece of land
- "The Land of Nod": Snapshots of a moment in time,
scattered across space. All eyes are on Venus, but something more sinister
may be happening much closer to home....
- "Year's End": As Peregryn gets closer to
Montreal, Timeslip puts his plan into motion! "Time and Space" comes to its
conclusion, and what stability may have existed before is shattered!
Manifest Destiny - #65-70
In the wake of Time and Space, the new frontier of Venus has been opened, for
good or ill.
- "Two Faces": The status quo on Venus has been smashed,
and now the various factions have to decide how they're going to cope with
that...as mythic forces gather for battle!
- "Eruption": Things seem to have calmed down for a
moment, while the North American Combine puts its plans for Venus into
motion. But that ominous rumbling is about to burst forth into something no
one will dare ignore!
- "Monstrous": Four daikaiju, titanic beasts full of
elemental power, now inhabit the surface of Venus...but what do they want?
- "Legion": The minions of Heraclius spread out over
Venus in an attempt to help him understand what he's missing, and good luck
to anyone getting in their way!
- "Beetle Battle": Political and social matters back on
Earth take center stage for a time, but eventually the children of Heraclius
find Falcon Bay...and what they were seeking?
- "Morning Star": Heraclius has come to Falcon Bay
seeking the solution to his problems...but how do you solve a problem like
Metropolis - #71-75
A sort of homage to Fritz Lang's movie of the same name, which was set in the
far-flung future of 2026. The focus comes back to Earth, specifically to
Manhattan, which has had months to become...something else. Note: The
CyberNostra of the ASH Universe is not related to the French online musician
organization La Cyber Nostra.
- Journey to the Lost City - The last time Juliana
Silvestri did designs for a wedding, the wedding party ended up on Venus.
Could Rex Umbrae's nuptuals have an even more spectacular blow-up? Only time
- Human Desire - We all want things, but not everything
we want is good for us, and sometimes our desires can lead to the opposite of
what we wanted in the first place.
- Hangmen Also Die - Tensions rise as more of Rex
Umbrae's enforcers meet their end in foul play, while preparations continue
for a wedding that will bring together guests who have all too many reasons
to want each other dead.
- Clash By Night - It's time for the Bachelorette Party,
and that tends to mean things go boom when it comes to paranormals. Special
guest appearance by Morgan Adams!
- Eyes of Evil - The wedding of Rex Umbrae and Maria
Incarnata goes off, but not without a hitch....
Four to Never - #76-78
Crossover with CSV #26-28! Monaco is the site of the first paranormal race,
the Prix Ultime, but it's also the site of a plot that could destroy the
- Prelude: Time Enough - It's the wedding of Peregryn
and Essay, but could it possibly outshine the festivities in Manhattan? Of
course! Continues in CSV #26, "Time Trials".
- Lap 1: Time Traps - It's the Prix Ultime, the first
ever sanctioned supernormal Formula race. Five start, but only one can
win...or maybe not! Continues in CSV #27, "Time Bombs".
- Lap 3: Time Slips - The mysterious quartet that
appeared at the end of Lap 2 has split up, forcing ASH, STRAFE, EUROPA and
the CSV to give chase...which is exactly what the newcomers want! Not
everyone will make it out of this issue alive.... Concludes in CSV #28, "Time Flies"!
Timequake - #79-83
Fallout from Four to Never!
- Part 1: Divine Wind - There's a dinosaur in Rome, Nazi
tanks in Poland, and half the Mongol fleet has showed up off the coast of
Japan! If the Impossible Five wanted a distraction, they certainly got one,
as the world's heroes are stretched thin trying to cope with all the
time-related disasters...so it's time for some of the villains to shine as
- Part 2: Blitzkrieg! - You'd think that dealing with an
understrength brigade of 1939 Nazi tanks wouldn't be too hard, but what if
you're not allowed to just shoot them? And the threat isn't just from the
past, a sword of damocles from the future is also hanging over Earth!
- Part 3: Dallas Rocket - A pause to take stock, and it
seems like things might be getting better rather than continuing to get
worse. Then, of course, they get worse....
- Part 4: The Furnace - The Fornax has come back to
Earth, intending to wipe humanity from the pages of history! Can a desperate
plan avert this devastation, or will the series focus permanently shift to
- Part 5: Aftershocks - The world has been saved, but has
everyone involved survived the experience? Plus, the machinations of the
Impossible Five continue....
Coming Home - #84-88
After Four To Never, Solar Max and Jen Kleinvogel were stuck in the distant
past. As seen in Coherent Super Stories, getting home
took some doing...now you see exactly how much doing. Arc crosses over into
CSV Annual #2.
- Part 1: Stormbringer - In 79 C.E., Solar Max and Jen
Kleinvogel need to figure out how to get home...and failing that, find a
place they can live out the rest of their lives....
- Part 2: Devastation - The demon that destroys
realities, Devastation, has come to erase the entire world...in 82 C.E.!
Forget about getting back to 2026, Solar Max and Jen Kleinvogel need to worry
about there being a 2026 to get back TO!
- Part 3: Infiltration - It's the other side of Coherent Super Stories #4,
with JakZak and Jen trying to fit into Somebody Else's Detroit in 1976.
Questions are answered, 70s clothing is worn, and another cliffhanger is
- Part 4: Escalation - Waking from a long sleep to find
their hiding place under assault, Solar Max and Jen Kleinvogel must help one
of the Third Age's few surviving heroes keep a weapon of terrible power out
of the wrong hands...even if it means detonating the weapon themselves!
- Epilogue - The Next
Morning - Jen and JakZak have gotten home at last, only to be greeted by
news of Derek and Cas's return (in CSV Annual #2), something
that's stirred up the world sociopolitical situation, as one might expect.
But that doesn't mean there won't be some happy reunions anyway!
Kheper's Path - ASH #89-92
Devlin Marx has been murdered, and the list of suspects is
almost as long as the ASH Wiki! Arc length uncertain at the moment.
- Part I: Sunset - The
death of Devlin Marx has started dominos falling, but some of those dominos
were set in motion months before, and on more than one world!
- Part II: Jaws of
Apophis - Contact starts trying to collect clues to the death of Devlin
Marx, taking him to exotic...Detroit?
- Part III: Crossing
Midnight - Contact's investigations take him to the darkness at the heart
of Vatican City, and the darkness in Gimble's own heart starts to come to
light. But some secrets can be fatal when exposed....
- Part IV: Newborn Dawn
- The terror of a child, the vision of a god, the best laid plans of mice and
men gone agly!
Billions Served - ASH #93-96
They've been working behind the scenes for months, and the
machinations of the Impossible Five are finally starting to come to light
once more, as the "franchises" they've spread around the world go active.
But are these the true threat, or merely a distraction?
- Part 1: Roll the Bones - The Rush have gotten
themselves up to five members and done enough to draw the attention of the
NAC Marshals...but they don't seem to be worried about that too much!
- Part 2: Counterparts - It's rematch time, and this
time ASH and the Marshals are ready for the Rush...but is anyone ready for
the new Freedom Alliance?
- Part 3: Test For Echo - People are starting to put
the pieces together and wondering just who's getting served by whom. But it
might all be for naught, depending on what the Light Brigade's up to!
- Part 4: Different Stages - Things seem to have quieted
down, but only on the surface. The Impossible Five's agenda continues to be
advanced by their franchises, and the Light Brigade's plan finally comes to
Rising Sun - #97-100
The Light Brigade's most audacious plot to date...stealing the Sun itself!
And this isn't a problem that ASH can simply shoot at, it's going to take
some creativity to solve it....
Part 1: Plan Orange - The world reacts to the theft of
the Sun, with everything from panic to mild disinterest. But ASH can't give
in to either extreme, and they have to figure out how to save the world. Or
worlds, as Venus is behind the shell around the Sun....
Part 2: I Shall Return - The panic is still happening
in the background, but now it's time for people to make other plans, the
ultimate "Go To Hell" plans. And some of the cures may be worse than the
disease! Meanwhile, the virtual Freedom Alliance enters the Pacific Theater
of Operations and starts the march on Tokyo!
Part 3: Cherry Blossoms - The Battle off Samar!
Bakajin! A second Sun! Storming Mount Suribachi! The penultimate chapter
of Rising Sun brings death, destruction and fear...and there's more to come!
Part 4: Starslayers - The plot to return
Doublecross from beyond the grave comes to a head as the Freedom Alliance
strives to capture Okinawa in a virtual World War II, while the Photonics
fight back in the real world! Special gatefold cover by Saxon Brenton!
Rival Schools - #101-106
A bit of a "breather" arc after Rising Sun, lighter in tone and more personal
- Part 1: Superpowers 101 - The main cast of ASH gets
to take a break, but it's back to school for a lot of members of the
supporting cast...and not everyone is going to like the lessons being taught.
- Part 2: Cram School - It's a week of studying,
assessment and playing pranks on the teacher. Well, trying to, anyway.
- Part 3: Field Trip - Conflicto has taken the
Understudies of Crime to the top of the world on a field trip, but are all
their permission slips in order?
- Part 4: Charm School - It's "Aaoooww" and "Garn" that
keep them in their place, not their spandex clothes or their glowing face.
Well, maybe the glowing bit matters.
- Part 5: Chasing ADA - It's time to put up or shut up,
as Netwalker puts his plan in motion to rescue the Advanced Difference-Engine
Autosophont! Meanwhile, a shadow falls across Slovakia....
- Part 6: No Behind Left Behind - Graduation time, as
the various characters move on to the "real" world and Red Widow finally
figures out who was, er, behind her troubles.
Newer ASH issues
ASH Titles Archive