Dave's ASH Archive - STRAFE
Last Updated: 1/12/13
STRAFE #18 added.
Oddly, while I often spend many lines on developing a minor character trait,
I tend to leave appearances totally untouched. Until the moment when I made
up the icons, I really hadn't decided on what the STRAFE characters looked
like, the only real clue being a mention of their team jackets in Singer's
#0. Hopefully I didn't contradict any existing colorations (Jen's
established as white in #3, C.J. is later established as black). From left
to right, it's Grind, Teller, Drake, Jen, C.J. (C.J. has bleached her
hair to a sort of yellowy orange flame color) and Lana Smith.
STRAFE: Written by Marc
Singer of Omega fame, this series follows the Academy students who didn't
form ASH, in a series geared more towards the super-agents theme.
- #0 - "Sophomore Slump": To pass the time waiting to
meet with the non-superhuman side of the agency, "Grind" Tracey tells one of
the younger Academy graduates about the first appearance of Triton, the first
post-1998 supervillain, and the role Grind and the other students played in
bringing him down. (Flashback sequence takes place in spring of 2020, from
around March to late May or early June.)
- #1 - "Test Run": While the new organization tries to
get over its birth-pains, the United World gives STRAFE a mission in
Singapore to determine if it should be granted UW-wide sanction.
- #2 - "City of Lions": STRAFE arrives in Singapore,
and discovers there's a LOT more to the mission than the United World
representative told them. Like competition from the Eurasion Union's team,
- #3 - "Grounded": One of the secrets of the official
STRAFE has been sent to rescue turns into a deadly trap for the team.
- #4 - "Mean Streets": STRAFE and EUROPA must work
together to escape from Chinese-controlled Singapore with their lives, the
official and his family, and some deadly new information about China's
- #5 - "DEEP ARMAGEDDON: Falling Stars": Jump ahead to
the last day of 2023. STRAFE anbd EUROPA are now working together to try and
stop the Conclave of Super-Villains from looting Haven, the sunken
supervillain community from the 1990s. Follows CSV #4, happens during ASH
- #6 - "THE SLOW BURN I: We Care A Lot": In the wake of
events in Warden, the Combine has decided to send STRAFE into Manhattan to
try and do something about the problems there. Unfortunately, the solution
isn't exactly what many of the STRAFE agents would like.
- #7 - "THE SLOW BURN II: Spirits": Striking out on
his own, Colonel Hendrick is determined to solve the recent murders of
paragangers, crimes no one else seems to care about. In the process, he
finds out perhaps more than he wanted to....
- #8 - "THE SLOW BURN III: Femmes Fatales": Burnout is
apprehended...and gets away. It's complicated. But before she leaves,
Burnout vastly simplifies paragang politics in Manhattan...by wiping out many
of the major players.
- #9 - "THE BONFIRE I: Hot Pursuit": After the disaster
last issue, STRAFE is order into Manhattan to try and salvage what's left,
but they're under strict orders not to engage the Paragangs. Maybe they
should have been ordered not to be mistaken for one....
- #10 - "THE BONFIRE II: Tempers Flare": Mission creep
sets in as STRAFE finds itself becoming the paragang everyone thinks they
are. It's a race to see if STRAFE will destroy itself before anyone else can
- #11 - "THE BONFIRE III: Firestarter": It's Warden
versus STRAFE versus the NYC Police, and that's not even the big battle yet!
- #12 - "THE BONFIRE IV: Vanities": The conclusion of
the Manhattan storyline goes out in a blaze of glory. Literally.
Manhattan's paragang problem is resolved...for now.
- #13 - "Carnivalesque": A stand-alone story featuring
Teller and EUROPA's Arc in a South American corporate enclave, where
skullduggery and espionage abound.
- #14 - "Nobody's Perfect": A prologue to The Pyramid
Scheme, this story follows STRAFE from spring 2024 to summer, as Grind finds
out that...nobody's perfect.
- #15 - "Impossible Missions": STRAFE goes to the
Vatican to try and figure out what the CSV is up to...and gets a little more
than they bargained for. PYRAMID SCHEME: STEP 2 (no step 1 for STRAFE).
- #16 - "Black Capricorn Days": STRAFE meets
semi-retired adventurer Morgan Adams and hears a tale of the man's first
meeting with Pino Archangeli and his son, Lorenzo.... PYRAMID SCHEME: STEP
- #17 - "Burial": The tale of Morgan Adams and Pino
Archangeli concludes the only way it could...in death. PYRAMID SCHEME: STEP
- #18 - "Necktie": Several years after the Pyramid
Scheme ran its course, Grind has succumbed to the curse of administrative
work, and reflects on an early training mission that might have done more to
prepare him for his future than he'd thought it would. By Dave Van Domelen.
ASH Titles Archive