All the stupid people... where do they all come from...

Today is a "freeze" day, a day for testing, a day for deep thought, a day for fixing any bugs in the system and avoiding the creation of any new ones. Which means poking at the system with sticks until something falls out. Sort of like a pinata, only without the fun part.

It's also a day for explaining to people, in short, understandable words, the precise details of their foolishness. We constructed the system to the precise requests of our clients, and this gives us the delightful task of, when presented with a gripe about how something looks, pointing to the sheets of description they gave us and saying "It looks this way because you TOLD US TO MAKE IT THAT WAY."

That's the problem when the system is designed by committee... people not actually in the committee are shocked and amazed when their points of view are unceremoniously ignored. "Why isn't this showing up?" Because you didn't tell us to put it in, and we gave you exactly what you asked for. "Why did this data field go away?" Because you didn't... etc, etc. "Why is this field so large? It's making the printing go over onto the next page..." Well, try not putting in so much descriptive text!

I'm just glad they don't call me with such problems, generally. The guy across the hall from me has been spending a large portion of the morning, explaining, very very patiently, that a textarea field counts keystrokes, not just visible characters. This is important when you consider the database can store precisely X number of characters and no more, but they just don't understand that... Mutter.

In other news, it looks like the company will buy a pizza lunch for everyone again. So much for trying to keep excess grease out of my diet...

Rant 'o the day contains no additives, preservatives or small woodland creatures of any kind. Use only as directed. Do not expose to direct sunlight. Do not fold, spindle, multilate or remove identifying tags. Handle with care. Contains less than 3% milk fat by weight, not by volume. Squeeze the lemon.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT