When what to my surly gaze should appear?

Mutter.

Well, I got the latest edition of my school's "Alumni Guide". Yeesh. Many of my high school compatriots, coming from independantly wealthy families as they did, went into the wonderful careers of the arts & crafts... er, arts & sciences. Which means while I'm out in the Real World, they're off in graduate schools looking for masters' degrees or off in another country (China seems to be popular) being paid to improve the world or whatever it is people do in China.

At least I have the satisfaction of a Real World career that allows me to sit around and fiddle with a computer all the time. And get paid to do it, no less. Not going into the world of academia and all, I'll likely earn more, too. And get a chance to be more surly. On the other hand, China. That's just amazingly cool.

Bastards.

Amusingly, none of the other "troublemakers" at my school seem to have gotten a mention. Possibly because they're all too lazy to fill out the little "where are they now" cards. Which is a pity, as this information would no doubt have been rather amusing compared to the actions of those graduates of my high school who've achieved larger than life status. (When I conquer the world, I'll have to make sure to keep them around as a ruling class.)

"Bob Schmoe is spending a year orchestrating revolution in Somewhereistan, inspiring the proletariat to overthrow their oppressors. Meanwhile, John Smith is experiencing the wonders of beer."

Beer. Is there anything it can't do?

Saturday found me going to the movie theatre to catch Tarzan before the next wave of movies washes it to a place without stadium seating. Mmm. Stadium seating. Now that was some pretty darn cool animation. Disney seems to have hit upon a happy medium lately between the comedic angle they must put on everything, and having a cool enough movie regardless. Maybe the types of stories they're picking to rip off lately have been better than most. I mean, Mulan and Tarzan are worlds better than their brain-damaged cousin, The Little Mermaid. Just compare the scores... Can you really compare the "Be a Man" song from Mulan to such complete schlock as "under the sea" without shaking your head in pity at the earlier efforts?

After that, Big Lots, the Closeout Store. Mmm. Cheap stuff. It's been a while since I've been in a store to buy something that wasn't a) Books, b) Anime or c) Food. (Really, between those three, you're pretty much set.)

There have been more recent sightings of Costume Boy, too, lately modelling a stunning "viking raider" ensemble on his patrols. That boy's not right, I tell ya...

The rest of the weekend was spent being surly about the heat, and playing Civ. What more is there to life?

Rant 'o the day contains no additives, preservatives or small woodland creatures of any kind. Use only as directed. Do not expose to direct sunlight. Do not fold, spindle, multilate or remove identifying tags. Handle with care. Contains less than 3% milk fat by weight, not by volume. Squeeze the lemon.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT