Those little detectors that ruin it all

And now, it's time for another 'Good idea, bad idea'.
Good idea: Using synthesizers to create interesting, evocative music, or to save money by not hiring any actual musicians.
Bad idea: Using synthesizers to create sounds that sound exactly like the 'Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!' sound on people's radar detectors.

After my last (and first) speeding ticket, I invested in a little black piece of hardware known to driving professionals as a 'radar detector'. I considered getting a reactive radar jammer but that would have been a bit excessive (although still legal in 48 states!). Much as I might like to be the only person on my block with a vehicular Electronic Counter-Measures suite, I don't think it would be appropriate. But still, a radar detection widget is pretty much standard gear for a lot of vehicles these days, and mine would be no exception, gosh darn it.

It's not like I'm much of a speeder, anyway. I generally stay a nice, safe 10 over the limit. But sometimes things get all fiddly, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

One amusing feature of this particular device (in addition to its full spectrum of radar and laser detection) is the fact that it's got the 'Phantom' chip. (No, not the purple guy on the horse, either.) You see, at one point, apparently the police got tired of all these people running around with radar detectors, and created a radar detector detector called the 'VG-2', which picks up the unique microwave signatures (or some such) created by radar detectors. To which the ever inventive lads responded by creating a radar detector detector detector, which was an even MORE sensitive widget that detected the unique signature of the VG-2, at greater range than the VG-2 had.

The Phantom has gone off a few times inside Tallahassee, but I've never actually seen any police cars to associate the errant signal with. It's entirely possible that it's picking up irrelevant devices or something. But, again, better safe than sorry.

Radar detectors are wonderful little devices, really. Very philosophical. They're the essence of 'you may be able to watch me, but I can watch you right back'. If only everything worked that way.

Tomorrow: Stories of an extremely confused cat.

Rant 'o the day contains no additives, preservatives or small woodland creatures of any kind. Use only as directed. Do not expose to direct sunlight. Do not fold, spindle, multilate or remove identifying tags. Handle with care. Contains less than 3% milk fat by weight, not by volume. Squeeze the lemon.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT