Big pile of comic books

Well, yesterday's purchases of comic books were fairly underwhelming, which should prove fairly good fodder for your amusement. Enjoy!

Robin #65: Robin sneaks into a hospital so he can hang out with Spoiler, who is outputting baby. Hmm... the Mask Principle seems to only go but so far, as Robin gets (sort of) busted this issue, despite wearing full medical scrubs, which are just about as all-covering as garments get. Various angst happens. Various tie-ins to the No Brain Here... er... No Man's Land crossover happen. Wayne Manor's destruction seemed so symbolic. Burn all your bridges behind you, and all that. I'm just glad I get to see it here instead of the main Bat-books, where it was no doubt beaten in with a massive, metal pole.

Nova #2: Color me only mildly impressed. Nova fights generic villain Diamondhead and gets more tidbits of his past revealed in classic comic book manner, ie, while getting his head bashed in. Oh, and there's some more angst about him putting the guy who was beating on his old girlfriend into a coma. The Insurance Companies are after him. OooOOooo, the HORROR. Bonus: Captain America shows up for no readily apparent reason to boost sales, acts out of character, then leaves. Look, ma, I'm a cameo! Plus: Namorita recovers from a serious bout of ugliness and pays Nova back for dissing her by seeking red hot monkey love with one of his roomies. Yowza!

X-Force #91: Okay, so I buy the occasional X-book. X-Force is one of the ones that's actually worth reading, since it has a pretty interesting cast, a good writer, reasonable art, etc. Well, it HAD reasonable art, anyway. Who stole the artist, damn it?! The new art looks bloody awful, like it's almost un-finished. Very moody and all, but I don't want a damn mood piece, I want a comic book that doesn't suck. If it weren't for the art, this would be a very good issue. Lots of angst... but it's angstful for a reason, since one of the characters lost her powers -- for a reason, instead of the typical Oh, My Powers Are Fluctuating, I Must Now Question My Existance smeg. And the forces of government seem to be out to get Our Heroes, as a random federal agent comes poking around after Domino (perfectly understandable, since she does seem to show up around trouble spots all the time, and with that bulldog tattoo, she's not exactly, you know, inconspicuous). And Roberto is hassled by, of all people, the Immigration and Naturalization Service. And, of course, he can't simply wipe them off the map because, you know, he's a hero and all. Having the 'public identity' disadvantage can be such a downer, especially when you've been casually breaking the law... And Moonstar's Deus Ex Machina powers are nowhere in sight. Hmm. But if they don't get a real artist back, I'm going to be spending my money on something slightly more worthwhile... like Pez.

Deadpool #29: Deadpool fights zombies. LOTS of zombies. And a guy in a chicken costume. The phrase "Brains is good food" is used! What more could you ask for? Wackiness! Carnage! Occasional snippets of plot! A bare minimum of panty shots! And did I mention zombies? Brains IS good food. Anywhere else, the kind of stuff that goes on in Deadpool would be either horribly angstful or just plain dull, but here it's cool. Back from the dead, indeed.

Avengers #17: Kurt Busiek is one of my favorite comic book writers. It's a damn shame, too, since he didn't actually write this book. Nothing like a good, solid superhero adventure. Poor Justice gets beat upon some more, Wanda's Deus Ex Machina powers continue to not show up (yay!), and the bucket o' plot danglers continues to be dredged in as the villain who was after Warbird turns out to be a combination of two old foes with ties to another one, and as a bonus, Perez gets to draw Warbird in her old costume. Ever get the feeling that Perez is bored? The guest writer tries to cram plenty of stuff in, with two groups of Avengers going after today's Dispose-A-Villain as well as the Wrecking Crew, who were shunted to another dimension last issue and promptly conquered it. Whups.

Astro City #17: Oh, there's Kurt Busiek. I knew he had to be around here somewhere. Anyway, Kurt turns out some more tales of minor villains, as the Steeljack story (hunting the hunters of minor villains) takes an abrupt twist to explore the plight of one particular minor villain, the Mock Turtle. Mock Turtle has a problem, see, in that he's a dreamer. Dreamer minor villains tend to get taken advantage of because, well, let's face it, dreamers are not the best judges of people's character. Which means he gets in rather a big ol' lotta trouble. Along the way, we get to see just how surly the Astro City faceless extra brigade is getting about someone knocking off all those low powered villains. Even though the Mock Turtle's plight seems to have nothing to do with the rest of them... maybe there wasn't a grand conspiracy after all? Or maybe there IS, and our hero...er, protagonist is going to get a major kick in the pants about it. Hup. I bet we'll find out more next episode, since this IS Kurt Busiek, Writer God after all. Sure. Next Episode. Which will probably come out next YEAR. Perhaps we must sacrifice more small animals on the idol...

Luftwaffe 1946 #16: Ted Nomura continues to demonstrate that either he's an unspeakably brilliant writer, or he can't construct a plotline worth a damn. What the hell's going on? Didn't anyone edit this damn book? Oh. Right. Antarctic Press. Small press. Duh. Love that art, though... But, of course, there's not much art in this book, either, as someone decided to explore the wonders of photo manipulation and fiddle with old World War II photos. Yes, yes. Photoshop is a wonderful thing. Give us the art back, now, please. This episode deals more with the subtler points of alternate history design than anything else. It's filler, albeit filler of such beefiness that it out-beefs entire cows. It's meatiness is mighty indeed, and fortunately, almost indescipherable. I'd consider dropping this book, but if it stays like this, it'll probably get cancelled before I get around to it. Someone get this man an editor, stat!

Neon Genesis Evangelion Volume 4 Number 3: Asuka and Shinji continue to surl at each other, Rei continues to sit in the background and look cute, and various other surliness continues between Kaji and Misato. Nice art and all, but besides the characterization (which is a lot more fun than the old version), this looks pretty much like the anime episode it's based on. I have a feeling later parts of Volume 4 are going to suck pretty badly if they try and follow the anime, since what made that episode of the anime so cool was the music. I doubt that a manga, no matter how well drawn and plotted, can equal that with the same script. We'll see. No fan service this episode, aside from a Loli-com cover, although Kaji tries to cop a feel.

Gold Digger #49: Ah, Fred Perry, my idol. In the world of Ameri-Manga, he's the only one who's in Kurt Busiek's league (except perhaps for Ben Dunn) in terms of the ability to run a cast of thousands, and keep all the little buggers distinct and fairly memorable. In this case, an old villain comes back for revenge against the 'Gold Digger Crew's favorite hired pilot, 'Ace'. Morgan and Tris... er, wait... Dark Bird and Skippy, an old fighter pilot whom Ace humiliated and her tech support sidekick (albeit a tech support sidekick on a shoestring budget) battle against Ace in a duel of... jumbo jets? Added Bonus Features: Charlotte the Harpy binges on airline peanuts, and due to a bizarre but typical chain of events, decides that she'd like to have a baby. Sure, whatever you say. That ought to be, er, interesting... Clueless, perky lil' Charlotte will not have an easy time finding an un-claimed guy in this babe-heavy comic. On the other hand, there's got to be a guy with wings SOMEWHERE in the Cast of Zillions... Assuming Charlotte is ever informed about the birds and the bees enough to go looking... Also, Ryan the 'badass ninja' sits out the entire episode, Cheetah explores the wonders of a giant ball of string, Skippy finds luv, and a serious discussion is had, only to be promptly interrupted by villainous attack. It's fun for the whole family!

Tomorrow: Public urination, French Chateaus, and the 'Eat-Man' graphic novel! Be there!

Rant 'o the day contains no additives, preservatives or small woodland creatures of any kind. Use only as directed. Do not expose to direct sunlight. Do not fold, spindle, multilate or remove identifying tags. Handle with care. Contains less than 3% milk fat by weight, not by volume. Squeeze the lemon.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT