All Things Cool and Mecha-Related
Last Updated: May 12th, 1999
NOTE: IF FOR SOME REASON THE PAGE "FREEZES", TRY OPENING IT AGAIN WITHOUT IMAGES.
This document is divided into sections, each one dealing with a different anime or role-playing game (or both). You can go directly to an item by clicking on the list of stuff below, or you can simply wander through the entire form... I'm putting links to everything mecha-related that I can turn up on the net here... Also, when available, I've added short "reviews" of the page. Generally, this lists what the main features of the particular page/set of pages are, so that if you're looking for something specific it's easier to find.
What is 'Mecha'?, you may exclaim in a confused voice. A "mech" is, in essence, a Giant Humanoid Robot(tm). Characters like the Transformers would be considered "mecha", as would the Veritechs/Valkyrie fighters or the Destroids from Robotech. Powered Armor, or even the loader-suit that Ripley uses in Aliens could be classified as "mecha". Things like the AT-ST's and AT-AT's from Star Wars count, too.
Speed-Y-Click Section Index
Battletech is a board/strategy/tactical/rpg/whatever game created by FASA, where you control giant, 20+ ton armored robots (or Battlemechs) as they fight each other, stomp crunchies (infantry), etc. The game has an astoundingly detailed background, as well as rules that, as anyone with half a brain can see, are utterly unrealistic. But it's still fun as heck, so I'm not complaining...
- Telnet to the 3056 MUSE (Currently offline!)
- Telnet to the 3029 MUSE
- Telnet to the Sim Site
- Telnet to the 3034 II MUSE
- FASA Corporation (The FASA corporation home page.)
- "All Things Battletech" (A collection of files for the Drawing Board design program.)
- Patrick's Battletech Page (Interesting page with lots of maps, images, data files, etc, kept fairly current, too. Link updated, as the page has moved.)
- BattleTech MUSH/MUSE list (Page listing the various Battletech on-line games, and containing information about them)
- The Free Rasalhague Republic (An information page for the much-pummelled FRR)
- 3056/3058 MUSE page (Lots of MUSE data, plus "lectures" on strategy. Very nicely done.)
- Mechsheet Homepage (Information about MechSheet 0.93, a freeware record sheet generator for Windows. A bit outdated, but software is software.)
- ComStar Page (Lots of data about ComStar and various fan-page background for the Battletech universe)
- David Low's Battletech Page (Files, errata, and the "Complete Battlemech Listing". Not kept current, but there's a lot of good information here regardless)
- The Battletech FTP Site at Berkeley (The most complete source for Battletech files.)
- Colony World Myops HomePage (Myops is an "alternate setting" for battletech. This page looks better every time I see it. HIGHLY recommended.) (NOT CURRENTLY ACCESSIBLE)
- Rec.Games.Mecha Archive (HTML versions of the Rec.Games.Mecha Archives. NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE)
- The Company Store (Keen files (a PDF map of the IS!) and various information and reviews)
- The Battletech Hangout (Pages for the FRR and Clan Nova Cat, graphics, mechlists and other files. It's been redone since I first saw it, looks very nice)
- A bunch of ASCII mecha (What it says)
- Marauder's Btech Homepage (Lots and lots of Clan Wolf info, new designs, info on the 'SuperCluster Project')
- Battletech VR page (Lots of graphics, so you'd better be Netscape(tm)-friendly. VR resources, and a resource paper on VR Battletech)
- "Unofficial" MechWarrior II Pre-Release FAQ
- CHF web-page (Um. Let me put it this way. You must click this link. Now. Lots of seriously cool stuff. The 'BT3056 Civil History and Field Academy is a reference for 3056 MUSE players.) (NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE)
- The "Eagle's Claw" (A German BattleTech page! Far out! Now also available in English.)
- Clan Ghost Bear index page
- Davion page (Various mech designs)
- NEW Cloud 9 Site
- Battletech site in Germany
- Battletech Card Game fan site
Mekton(tm) and Mekton Zeta(tm)
Mekton and Mekton Zeta are mecha combat/role-playing games by R.Talsorian Games. IMNSVHO (In My Not So Very Humble Opinion... ;), Mekton is way cool. The character generation/lifepath is quite well done (and funny in places). The mecha construction system is the most versatile I've yet run into (this is especially true in Mekton Zeta). All-in-all, IMHO Mekton is as good of an "anime style" mecha game as you're going to get.
Okay, so I don't know a whole lot about this one. Check out the Rec.Games.Mecha or Heavy Gear FAQs for more.
Robotech is the twisted child of Carl E. Macek and Harmony Gold. It consists of 1st Generation (aka Super Dimensional Fortress Macross), 2nd Generation (aka Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross), 3rd Generation (aka Genesis Climber: M.O.S.P.E.A.D.A.) and The Sentinels.
Note that the first three "Generations" actually had no continuity whatsoever until Macek got his grubby little hands on them. Despite the fact that he essentially mangled three different shows into a twisted semblance of a plotline, Robotech is generally acnowledged as having done Great Things for anime fandom in the US.
Oh, yeah, and there are mecha in it, too. In case you were wondering what it was doing on the mecha page... ^_^
Bubblegum Crisis is set in a "dark future", where the Megacorporation Genom has taken over much of the world's industries, using their cyborg "boomers". The only ones standing in the way of the Genom Chairman's plan for world domination are the thinly-stretched ADvanced Police, and the vigilante/mercenary group called... the Knight Sabers.
EarthSiege II is a mecha shoot-'em-up game for Win95 systems.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS LISTS
I have managed to collect and code into HTML format several of the FAQs that have been posted to rec.games.mecha, as well as other FAQs that I've turned up.
Hits since 12 May 1999
FastCounter by LinkExchange
(8/21/95:::) I've started adding descriptions to all the stuff I have time for, as well as comments on how the page looked to me. The amount of mecha-related (especially BattleTech(tm)) information on the 'Net is growing at a staggering speed, so don't be surprised if there's some incredibly hot new page that I don't have on here, or if I've flubbed a description 'cos I don't have time to give one of the pages a thourough examination. Don't be surprised, be talkative. Email me, my address is at the bottom there. I appreciate comments on just 'bout anything.
(10/1/95:::) Added more links, checked the old ones. Some don't seem to be functioning. Some have changed since last update.
(11/9/95:::) Added two new btech links, added Heavy Gear section, added to Robotech section and have begun to bring it up to spec with the Btech section.
(12/3/95:::) Added Mekton, BGC, Robotech, Macross links. Munged some links that had stopped working. Changed document structure a tad.
(12/20/95:::) Added more links. Wow, you look shocked.
(1/17/96:::) Added MORE links. Updated Heavy Gear section. Added new section for the "Generic Mecha Format".
(1/31/96:::) More Battletech links. Up to 8k in the hits field.
(5/13/96:::) Finally couldn't resist any longer and put a background in. I feel so dirty...
(6/7/96:::) General maintenence. As a result of comments, removed the background. Changed counter services.
(6/21/96:::) General maintenence. Added some links. Added new Macross section. Moved to eyrie.org (yay!). Changed the background color to white.
(7/13/96:::) General maintenece. Added some links, fixed some links that were broken by the changover to eyrie.
(7/29/96:::) Added more links.
(10/26/96:::) Fixed a few links, added scads more Heavy Gear links.
(4/11/97:::) Performed much needed maintenence. Added tons more links. Removed Generic Mecha Format. Added EarthSeige II by request.
(5/12/99:::) Wow, s'been a while. Cleared out a ton of old links, did some much needed updating, and cleared a backlog of requests.
Hall of Yays!
A short section dedicated to people who take the time to email me with new URLs and/or point out problems with my page. Thank'ee!
- Ray Forsythe
- Aaron Martin
- Marc A. Vezina
- Steven Ho
- Mark Chitti
- David Farr
- Mark W. Chase
- Manuel Costa
Note: More stuff will be added as soon as I find stuff... If you know of something that could go on this page, just email me!
Return to JBT's Main Page